|How to use this website
1. How do I browse the catalog of classes and activities online?
Under the Browse menu in the navigation bar above, click on “All Classes.” You may browse by topic by clicking on the category name. A list of classes will come up. Full class descriptions and class information can be found by clicking the class name.
Or, click on “Search” in Browse menu and you may search by keywords in the class name or description, by date, or by other criteria.
2. How can I request a printed catalog?
In the menu under "Browse," click on "Send me a catalog" and fill in the form. A catalog will be mailed to you.
3. How do I sign in to the website?
If you are new to our site, you must create a new user profile. Creating a profile provides you with your own personal, password-protected account. Having an account will allow you to register online and track your class registrations. To create a profile, click "sign in" from the left menu bar.
You will then select either “Member” or “Student” profile:
- If you would like to become a member of North Shore Senior Center at this time, select “Member” and follow the prompts.
- If you do not want to become a member at this time, select “Student” and follow the prompts.
When building your profile, items marked with a red asterisk are required. We highly recommend using your email address as your login.
Once you create your student profile (and on subsequent visits after you sign in), you will see menu options that allow you to edit your profile, check your current registrations, and view your transactions and transcript.
4. How do I update my profile?
You may edit or update your student profile at any time. After signing in, access the link entitled “My Profile” to change any of the information. Click “Edit” at the bottom of the page. You may then edit any the profile fields. When you are finished, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Submit.”
5. How do I register for classes and activities online?
· Browse through the catalog selections, when you find a class or activity that you are interested in, click “Add to Cart” button.
· Continue shopping and when you are finished, from the shopping cart, click “Check Out.”
· Read and agree to the class refund policy, and click “check out” again.
· Complete your registration on our secure site with your credit card.
· You can print your transaction receipt and class confirmation for your records in addition will receive a class confirmation and transaction receipt via email.
6. How do I know if there is space available in a class?
If a class is already filled a waiting list button appears and you have the option of placing yourself on the waiting list. If a seat becomes available we will contact you
7. How do I print a receipt?
To print a receipt for any classes, just sign in and select "My Transactions" from the left menu bar and locate the class. Under "Action," select "Print View" and print your receipt.
8. Can I purchase gift certificates for classes?
Gift Cards are available for purchase online for any dollar amount that can be applied to a class of the recipient’s choice.
9. What classes and activities do you offer?
Lifelong Learning at North Shore Senior Center provides opportunities for older adults to engage their mind, energize their body, and enrich their spirit through a wide array of presentations, classes, activities, and events. Classes and activities are available at our Northfield location.
- Enjoy - Explore the area and experience a variety of cultural events on one of our many daytrips. We also offer concerts, dramatic performances and luncheon events at both our locations.
- Learn - We offer hundreds of educational presentations and classes with well-respected instructors in the creative arts, computers, film, literature, history, music, humanities, current issues, and community information.
- Enrich - Learn many new skills such as how to use the latest technology, new cooking techniques, create beautiful arts and craft projects, and learn about our many community resources in our many enriching presentations.You may also take part in hikes, bike rides, or canoe trips in our local forest preserves on our outdoor Adventure programs.
- Live - Our fitness and wellness programs include exercise classes, meditation, yoga, health lectures, brain fitness programs, and health screening. In addition, the Fitness Center, located in our Northfield location, has a full selection of cardio and strength training equipment and is staffed by trained fitness specialists.
- Play - Take part in our many recreational and social activities such as book clubs, Mah Jongg, Bridge, Golf, Bowling, Fishing, Sports, music groups, craft groups, and much more. Most programs are open to all adults. However some of our no-fee clubs and activities are limited to members-only.
For specific information on our classes and activities, check out our Lifelong Learning Program Catalog.
10. How do I register for classes?
Registration is required for participation in all classes, clubs and activities. Payment is due at registration. Registrations are non-transferable. Participation in no-fee clubs limited to NSSC members, or other groups as noted. Participation in skills-based classes may be depended upon participant's skills level, and noted by prerequisites or as determined at the discretion of the instructor. You may register by:
- Phone - Call 847-784-6030 Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Online - Register for classes 24 hours a day on this website. To access the registration portal, simply click "Sign In" on the left menu bar. If this is your first time signing in, you will need to create a new profile. Click "Member" if you would like to also become a member at this time and receive discounts on registration fees. If you do not wish to become a member at this time, click "Learner." Once you create your profile, you may shop for classes and activities, add them to your cart to register, then check out when you have completed your selection.
- Mail - Mail a completed registration form to Lifelong Learning Department, North Shore Senior Center, 161 Northfield Road, Northfield, IL 60093.
- Walk-in - Come to the Lifelong Learning Department Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
11. Will I receive confirmation of my registration in a class or activity?
When you register online, a confirmation notice and transaction receipt will automatically be sent to the email address you provide.
When you register by phone, mail, or in person, a confirmation notice will be emailed to you. If you have not provided an email address, a confirmation notice will be mailed to you.
12. Do I need to register for a class in advance, or can I register on the day the class begins?
Participants are encouraged to register in advance to secure a spot, and to ensure there will be sufficient enrollment. Registrations will be accepted the day of a class only if there is space available and there is no wait list.
13. Do you have Wait Lists for classes or activities that are full?
When a class reaches its maximum limit, a Wait List is started. If there is a cancellation and a vacancy becomes available, calls will be placed to those on the Wait List, in the order in which they were first received. On the day of a class or activity, walk-ins will not be admitted if there is a Wait List.
14. What are your policies for payment of class fees?
Payment is due at the time you register. When you register online, payment is by credit card only. We accept MasterCard or Visa. To pay for your registration by cash or check, you must mail, phone, or walk-in your registration form and payment. Registrations are non-transferable.
15. What is your refund policy?
Standard Refund Policy - You may cancel your registration in a class, activity, or event prior to the program’s start date and request a refund. An electronic voucher will be issued for the full registration amount. If you prefer to receive your money back, the registration fee minus a $5 processing fee will be issued. North Shore Senior Center cannot refund fees requested on or after start date of a program, or for sessions missed due to personal illness or other personal situations.
Daytrip Refund Policy - Cancellations of a daytrip registration and request for a refund must be done six (6) weeks prior to the date of the trip to receive a refund. An electronic voucher will be issued for the full amount. If you prefer to receive your money back in the form you paid, a $10 processing fee will be charged. A cancellation made after 6 weeks prior to the trip will only receive a refund if there is a replacement is found for your seat. Daytrip registrations are non-transferable.
16. What are the benefits of membership in North Shore Senior Center?
When you become a member, you can enjoy all that North Shore Senior Center has to offer and receive the benefits of membership. For more information click here.
17. How do I become a member of North Shore Senior Center?
Just complete the Membership Enrollment Form and indicate your choice of membership. You may mail the form and payment, bring it to Lifelong Learning, or click here to join online. Memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable.
18. Do I have to be a certain age or live in a certain town to become a member?
North Shore Senior Center has no age or geographic requirements for membership. Any adult who wants to take part in opportunities to enrich their lives may become a member.
19. Can I participate in classes and activities if I am not a member?
Participation in our Lifelong Learning classes and activities is open to all adults able. North Shore Senior Center members receive a discount on the registration fees, as outlined in their specific benefits package. Participation in our clubs and interest groups is limited to members. Participation in skills-based classes may be dependent upon a participant's skill level, as determined at the discretion of the instructor or any noted prerequisites.
20. I can’t afford the membership fee. Do you have any scholarships available?
North Shore Senior Center has scholarship programs for individual membership packages. A scholarship includes a complimentary membership and a voucher to cover some class fees. An application, including a statement of financial need, must be turned in with the membership enrollment form. For more information or for an application, contact Lifelong Learning.
21. Where do your programs take place?
Most of our programs take place at North Shore Senior Center's Arthur C. Nielsen, R.
Campus in Northfield. Occasionally, programs may meet off-site, such as local forest
preserves. Details will be provided in your registration confirmation letters.
Arthur C. Nielsen, Jr. Campus
161 Northfield Road
Northfield, IL 60093
Main Phone: 847-784-6000
Lifelong Learning office 847-784-6030